The Mote Maintains

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

There's something special about birthday weekends.  I never get tired of the silly things about them, like chocolate cake with sprinkles and candles (which I of course wasn't allowed to light, seeing as it is bad luck to light your own), and being told to sit down while other people make dinner, and even the fact that relatives have the freedom to heckle you mercilessly.

There's something special about all these friends of mine.  It was awesome to go out for brunch with so many of them on Sunday and just hang around and talk and eat and marvel at the idea of cheesecake and strawberries as breakfast food.  It's awesome to have friends who know, just know, that what I really, really needed for my birthday was a shopping bag full of Pocky in myriad flavours and varieties (Thanks to my friend Steve!). 

There's something about being the one of the only people on earth who would coo and mew over getting a leatherbound Latin-English dictionary (ca. 1910-35 as far as I can tell - must check some catalogues I know of...) for her birthday  (well, I must say that, understandably, Sarah seemed to think it was pretty cool too!  She's in Classical Studies with me.)  not to mention a book full of ephemera related to Lewis Carroll's tour of Russia.  There is nothing on earth like receiving the gift of fire on this, the first day of my twentieth year.  (*attempts a pathetic imitation of Marlon Brando's wheeze*) Dan knows me too well - he's so good to me.  He gifted me with a pretty zippo to replace the one I lost a few years ago, and it is a beautiful little creature.  I love that click that zippos make... it's such a central sound in so many films involving glorious fireballs and momentuous explosions.  Just listen:  click.  WHOOOSH.  That's the sound of pure, unadulterated mayhem.  click. FSSZZZT is the sound of a particularly nice firecracker just before it goes off.  And so on and so forth.

It should probably be noted that the two thematic elements of said birthday gifts most certainly do not go well together, (ie. paper and fire) and shall be duly kept safely separated.

All of the above excellence (except birthday cake) occurred before noon, before the owner of Jose's came over and bribed me offered to give me  a coupon for a free dessert, on the condition that we give up our table, for we apparently lingered too long over coffee and tea and such.  Strange, that.

After that, Sarah, her partner Greg, Cat, and Steve all had to run away to their intramural ultimate frisbee game (on a day where the wind was gusting at extraordinary speeds, no less) and I had to go home and edit a certain magazine for a while.  That's how responsible I am:  I did actual work - lots of it! - on my birthday.  Perhaps I'm just boring.  No, I'm just a student.  That's the problem.  Anyway, it wasn't so bad, because I had Dan to keep me company while we both worked away at stuff.  I think Dan was amused by how much my sister loves to torment me.  Heh, but I give as good as I get, and Audrey can dish it out but she can't take it.  As an older sibling himself, I don't think Dan could work up much sympathy for her, which suits me just fine, just fine.

The reason Dan had stuck around was that he was invited to my birthday dinner with the family!  Everyone in my house is really weird, so I imagine we were at best amusing and at worst embarrassing, but everyone seemed to have a decent time and a decent meal, and that's what counts.  Had cake and all that stuff, and then there were a couple more gifts from my family, including the new Robert Jordan Wheel of Time novel (They're kind of redundant/boring now, but I'm so invested that I'll keep reading until he winds the damn thing up at some interminable date...) from my aunt, and all sorts of knitting related stuff from my parents and my sister.  I am a big dork, but I wouldn't want to be anything else. 

After that there was clean up, and then everyone had to leave!  Dan had to get back to Waterloo, and my parents had to drive the Audrey back to Seneca, so I stayed home and... drumroll.... did more homework!  Such is life, though, such is life.

I love that I got LJ birthday wishes, and plenty of phone calls as well. They make me smile.  I even got not one, but TWO marquees on LJ.  That's just madness, and I adore it.

I'm sure I've forgotten some essential moment of the day, but I should probably be working on my seminar, so I'll write about the Royal later.

NaNo is sort of stalled at 5500 words.  I don't wanna talk about it.

~mote

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home