The Mote Maintains

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I made this.

IMG_2544

The learning process continues; I've been trying to do a little spinning (sometimes a lot of spinning) each day, as that is the only way I'll stop making crappy singles which turn into even crappier plied yarn. Most of this stuff is the good. That doesn't mean that there haven't been bad bits, because OH YES, there has been much yarn carnage at this house. But pictures of that stuff aren't fit for public consumption. Besides, I prefer to dwell on the beautiful, and these diminutive skeins are, to my mind, just that: gorgeousness.

IMG_2560

I think this one has been my favourite so far. It's a 65-35 merino-silk blend, and it is soooo easy to spin - I couldn't believe how easy it was to make those skinnnnny singles, and it was pretty cool to see them become just lofty enough during plying.

I love plying. It's a very satisfying process, because that's when you feel like you've actually made yarn.

IMG_2557

This is the stuff that I used in spinning class when Laura taught us how to ply properly. Even though I had tried it myself the week before, with the pink-and-orange merino, I was glad to have the extra instruction, because my plying looks much better now.

IMG_2552

Pictures always seem to look nice when I take them in this room - it's my parent's room, but it's got the most light in the whole house.

On Sunday when we got home from Lettuceknit, I accidentally dropped one of my skeins (used to learn Andean plying) in the garden. Below is a reenactment.

IMG_2536

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home